Final Fantasy XIV Official Discussion Thread

August 25, 2010 @ 03:36:11 AM
^ yea, it looks very slow paced, almost like a turn-based system. pretty though

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

August 25, 2010 @ 08:13:16 AM
Fuck, I didn't know this thread was here, I would have been posting in it earlier.
I'm really excited for this game, I need a new MMO to play, WoW is so boring to me now.
August 25, 2010 @ 13:09:54 PM
Double posting, don't h8
http://kotaku.com/5621786/final-fantasy-xivs-play+limiting-fatigue-system-explained

This shit really scares me.
I don't binge on MMO's like I did when I was younger but I don't like the fact that if you play long enough you stop gaining XP. I just... am lost for words.
August 25, 2010 @ 13:42:21 PM
thats good and bad i guess. will stop nerds and gilfarmers from powerlevling and shit.

no more 10 hour parties in sky tho smh

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

August 25, 2010 @ 19:34:41 PM
i dont see this being real and no one even really understands how it works

I'm not sure what you mean.
You don't see this being real? Plenty of gaming blogs are discussing this, it's real, it's in the beta, it's probably going to be in the finished game. People fully understand how it works. See - http://www.massively.com/2010/08/25/final-fantasy-xiv-fatigue-format-fully-put-forward/

Shit's real dog, be afraid, really afraid. smh

August 25, 2010 @ 21:07:19 PM
im not sure i understand. so 8 hours of full exp followed by 7 hours of dominishing exp. when does it return to normal?

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. I think it's a week or something like that. I didn't read the review.

August 25, 2010 @ 21:55:08 PM
in game week or real life week? in game week is only 1 real life day which is not bad at all.

Real life is what I've gathered from the comments on Massively and Kotaku.

August 25, 2010 @ 23:29:08 PM
wtf 8 hour a week limit? THE FUCK? on a normal day id go atleast 6 hours on an MMO. WTF.

Hell 12 hours in one session isn't even that hard to pull off.

smh square enix you made me sad

August 25, 2010 @ 23:38:33 PM
i hate real time penalties. especially on mmos. When I get a good party I can do major quests for hours and stack exp nicely at the end of my session. this how ever is a major kill joy, imagine finishing some 5 hour quest and find out your time limits up and you get gimped on the exp? fuck that and the stupid part is that this is a pay to play game. wtf. makes no sense to put this kind of bullshit on.

August 25, 2010 @ 23:57:01 PM
i don't think it effects things like that but more so exp per kill.

From what I've read you receive no xp period when the time is up.
Seems the internet is mad but I really think this shows how Square feels about American players.
They don't care.

No really, they don't, take for example the game pad/mouse keyboard issue. The majority of Japanese players use gamepads. The majority of Americans use a mouse keyboard. Guess which one has better support and is easier to use, the gamepad. Square wants you to use a gamepad. Square wants it's players to level near the same time.

Seriously, my interest in the game is pretty much shot.
Guess I'll wait for Swtor, GW2, and Cata.

August 26, 2010 @ 00:05:30 AM
I think so.
They don't want to compete with WoW or any other really popular MMO. They fit a niche and they fit it well, or at least they did.
Now, hell I don't know what to think. I reeeeeeaaaaally want to like this game. I really do but they're making it impossible.

It's sort of if Halo or CoD limited the number of ranked matches you could do in a day so people could progress around the same rate. Why limit the customer to how much they can use your product? I don't get it.

August 26, 2010 @ 00:12:21 AM
i think with FFXI it was more niche but this time around theyre going for accessability. That's why i think the americans are more important this time. Read a comment on some site that WoW tried to do something like this initially too.

Yeah, take comments from Massively with a grain of salt. Sometimes a poster there can really know their shit and others times trolls are just making up shit.

I know what you mean though, I think they are branching out to more of a casual market but their class system and 2 leveling systems IMO make it pretty daunting to casuals.

I think when we really know the endgame we'll see what crowd Square is really after.

August 26, 2010 @ 00:31:12 AM
Yeah man I know the whole MMO Community hates WoW because it's top dog. But they really have perfected end game with their hardmodes and shit.

August 26, 2010 @ 01:30:06 AM
i cant speak on it but as far as FFXI goes i loved its end game without instanced areas. competition.

Ehh, the original WoW and Everquest had bosses like that. Shit can be fun and it can be really annoying. But so can 40 man raiding.

Seriously, I wish GW2 and SWTOR would come out already. There is a drought in the MMO market.

August 26, 2010 @ 17:35:38 PM
there really is. ive been dying i want to go back to FFXI like every other week until i realize how stupid that'd be

very stupid blushing
August 26, 2010 @ 22:32:49 PM
very stupid blushing

Not really, people continued to play the original Everquest when Everquest 2 came out. People will continue to play FFXI when XIV comes out.

UPDATE: http://www.massively.com/2010/08/26/devil-in-the-details-for-final-fantasy-xivs-fatigue/

Still don't really understand the shit, but now it seems people think Square has created this to "persuade" people play different classes. Still don't agree with it though. >smh

August 26, 2010 @ 23:57:10 PM
i guess its not a big deal considering i want to take on conjurer + blacksmith

That's a crafting class though so I don't think it'd matter anyways. Fuck I really don't know, this is kind of giving me a headache. I want to pre-order the CE but this is the only thing holding me back.

Did you say in an earlier thread you made a computer for this game?

Also I read this in a comment. It kind of makes me think differently about this whole system. Anyone looking for a different perspective on this should read it.

"When designing an MMO, one of the things that needs to go in is some sort of limit on the possible progression of players. Developers need to control the rate at which players can approach the endgame, and other milestones along the way. Usually this is done with an XP curve.

An XP curve is really nothing more than a time sink. Developers decide how long they want certain segments of the game to take--how long they want certain level ranges to last, and ultimately how long it should take players to reach endgame. They then balance the amount of XP it is possible to gain in a given timeframe with the amount required to move beyond a certain a certain point, or level up.

XP gain may give the illusion of progression but that's all it is--an illusion. Gaining XP is not progressing a character. It does not impart any new strengths or abilities by itself. Levels are the real progression. Levels provide increased statistics and new abilities.

In reality, a game is designed and played from level to level, not from one experience point to the next. Being level 57 with 8000 XP towards level 58 doesn't let you do level 58 content any more than being level 57 woth 0 XP towards level 58 does. Being level 58 lets you do level 58 content. The XP required to get from level 57 to level 58 is merely a time sink. You spend enough time grinding it out, and you get to be level 58.

Experience point income is balanced against the total XP required for a level up in such a way as to have players spending a certain amount of time between level ups. This is true in any MMO, and Final Fantasy XIV is no different.

However, FFXIV puts a spin on the system. The developers for FFXIV are looking at it from the perspective that levels are the progression, not XP. XP is certainly not useless, but it is merely a means to an end. They also, like all developers, have in mind a rate at which they want players to reach certain level milestones.

For most MMOs, with a purely XP-based system, if the developers decide that levels should be gained at the rate of 1 per week, players have to grind away all week, making no real character progress, until they get that 1 level at the end of the week. THAT is the progress--regardless of whatever number is in the XP box, it is the 1 level that ultimately matters. And if you can't grind away all week, you don't get it. If it takes you three times as long to rack up the necessary game time, you get no progress on your character at all for three weeks.

The fatigue system is also a time sink, but functions a bit differently. It still works off of the concept that players should only attain a certain amount of progression per week, but it doles out that progression more quickly up front. This has two important effects. First, it means that even those who cannot play 6-8 hours a day every day can make some progress. Not as much overall, but some. Second, it means that after the week's progression on one class has been reached, players are free to mess around with others--a level of freedom and diversification that most games don't have.

Make no mistake; if SE decides that you should only gain 3 levels in a class per week, then that is all you will gain. Without fatigue--with a basic XP system--all your play time in that week would be devoted to a single class as XP requirements increase to compensate, and wanting to level something else would mean sacrificing progression in that one class.

With the fatigue system, instead of sacrificing XP time to do things that don't involve leveling your main class, you get to have all the XP you'd normally get for the week anyway, and then focus on other aspects of the game. Want to level another class? Go do it. Want to quest? Sure. How about crafting? Also an option. Or maybe you just want to explore. In other MMOs, all of these activities come at the cost of XP. That is not the case here. And if you really want to grind away at one class well, you can hop on it at the beginning of the week, and still have time to hit it again later in the week after surplus has cleared from not leveling it. Bonus!

Final Fantasy XIV was designed with a certain philosophy. The fatigue system is part of enacting that philosophy. It is no more limiting than a standard XP system, as progression is balanced around it. It offers more freedom than conventional systems, simply by allowing for different allocations of play time with no penalty. Can it stand some tweaking and balancing? Probably. But doing away with it entirely will cause a progression rebalance what will completely undermine any kind of horizontal character development, as well as force unnecessary choices between whether to XP a main class, or do anything else. And the ultimate gain on main class progression will be no different."
Please login first to reply.
x