Occupy Wall Street

October 06, 2011 @ 13:48:12 PM

|||||||||||||\|||||||||||||||||I|/

October 06, 2011 @ 13:48:16 PM
so it really is just a bunch of upset hipsters with nothing better to do? i find that hard to believe but it sounds about right lol.

even this is somewhat of a generalization. yes thats what it started out as, but now theres all sorts of demographics. theres people with their children, old ♥♥♥♥♥s, the NYC Transit Union has backed them, George Soros has even endorsed them. its becoming a pretty big deal now.

you can trivialize it all you want but....

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 14:11:35 PM
Originally posted by Inactive User
even this is somewhat of a generalization. yes thats what it started out as, but now theres all sorts of demographics. theres people with their children, old ♥♥♥♥♥s, the NYC Transit Union has backed them, George Soros has even endorsed them. its becoming a pretty big deal now.

you can trivialize it all you want but....

Trivialize what? A bunch of upset people? With out a agenda or specific goal, its just nonsense.

I'm not saying that there isnt one though, just that i havent heard what it is...

feel free to enlighten me. blushing
October 06, 2011 @ 14:21:18 PM
Trivialize what? A bunch of upset people? With out a agenda or specific goal, its just nonsense.

I'm not saying that there isnt one though, just that i havent heard what it is...

feel free to enlighten me. blushing

not really goals per se, but a list of grievances.
http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/first_official_statement_from_the_occupy_wall_street_movement/

and like i posted earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q&feature=related

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 14:33:03 PM
Soooo...

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*
October 06, 2011 @ 14:34:35 PM
shouldnt they be marching/occupying the capital then, not wall street? none of this makes sense.
October 06, 2011 @ 14:36:47 PM

Melo Gang All Day

October 06, 2011 @ 14:44:46 PM
shouldnt they be marching/occupying the capital then, not wall street? none of this makes sense.

god damn it. why do people keep saying this? its totally irrelevant. is there a correlation between the location of a protest and its effectiveness? i mean there were rallies and protests about Sudan back in 2006-2007. Did you expect them to go to Darfur?

and a lot of those grievances are directed at the corporations AND the government. theyve both been fucking the people over. and those investment banks on Wall St. played a huge role in the financial collapse in 2008 so thats why theyre there.

like i said before though, the location is irrelevant. there are protests in big cities all over the country. theres an Occupy Boston, Portland, etc. people are protesting wherever they can. and im willing to bet that we arent too far from there being a protest in DC.

i just dont understand why people are being dicks about this. let them protest. its their prerogative

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 14:52:11 PM
god damn it. why do people keep saying this? its totally irrelevant. is there a correlation between the location of a protest and its effectiveness? i mean there were rallies and protests about Sudan back in 2006-2007. Did you expect them to go to Darfur?

and a lot of those grievances are directed at the corporations AND the government. theyve both been fucking the people over. and those investment banks on Wall St. played a huge role in the financial collapse in 2008 so thats why theyre there.

like i said before though, the location is irrelevant. there are protests in big cities all over the country. theres an Occupy Boston, Portland, etc. people are protesting wherever they can. and im willing to bet that we arent too far from there being a protest in DC.

i just dont understand why people are being dicks about this. let them protest. its their prerogative

yes.
October 06, 2011 @ 14:52:59 PM
yes.

where is source/study of that?

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 15:18:22 PM
Its apparent that you are passionate about whats going on so i wont argue the details. I will say that the protesters have a chance to make an impact, but need a clear, concise message. Not just a list of things they are unhappy with. It is also important to target the "movement" at those at fault, and for over 90% of the complaints it government... not big business.

I wasn't trying to "trivialize" the "movement", or be a dick. Just noticing how poorly the whole thing is being orchestrated.

This may sting a bit, but the "movement" could take a few notes from the Tea Party on getting a message out and then facilitating that change.
October 06, 2011 @ 16:10:59 PM
this is a different time. it is not "WE WANT THIS. WE WANT IT NOW!"

it is a general feeling of being left behind, fucked over, and forgotten by the government and economy. people are realizing this and are getting fucking mad about it. no one knows exactly what needs to be done. there is no clear goal. why should there be? when a protester was asked by a reporter, "how would you like this to end?" he responded, "i wouldn't like it to end, i would like to see the conversation continue".

this isn't as cut and dried as demanding a solution from the government and then going home when a politician promises something. it doesn't work.

October 06, 2011 @ 16:31:42 PM
Its apparent that you are passionate about whats going on so i wont argue the details. I will say that the protesters have a chance to make an impact, but need a clear, concise message. Not just a list of things they are unhappy with. It is also important to target the "movement" at those at fault, and for over 90% of the complaints it government... not big business.

I wasn't trying to "trivialize" the "movement", or be a dick. Just noticing how poorly the whole thing is being orchestrated.

This may sting a bit, but the "movement" could take a few notes from the Tea Party on getting a message out and then facilitating that change.

?)

Soooo...

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage. CORPORATIONS

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses. CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENT

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation. CORPORATIONS

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization. CORPORATIONS

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices. CORPORATIONS

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions. GOVERNMENT AND CORPORATIONS

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right. CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENT

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay. CORPORATIONS

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility. GOVERNMENT AND CORPORATIONS

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.CORPORATIONS

They have sold our privacy as a commodity. CORPORATIONS

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. GOVERNMENT

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit. CORPORATIONS

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce. CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENT

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them. CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENT

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil. GOVERNMENT

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit. CORPORATIONS

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media. GOVERNMENT AND CORPORATIONS

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt. GOVERNMENT AND CORPORATIONS

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. GOVERNMENT

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas. GOVERNMENT

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*
GOVERNMENT AND CORPORATIONS

government and big business are in bed with each other, so it would be appropriate to protest in wall st. or DC. Frankly, it would be appropriate to protest anywhere, seeing as how people are getting fucked over everywhere.

and you're right, the tea party did do a good job of getting a message out and acting on it.

on that same tangent everyone needs to watch this lmaoooo

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-5-2011/parks-and-demonstration

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 16:40:22 PM
this is a different time. it is not "WE WANT THIS. WE WANT IT NOW!"

it is a general feeling of being left behind, fucked over, and forgotten by the government and economy. people are realizing this and are getting fucking mad about it. no one knows exactly what needs to be done. there is no clear goal. why should there be? when a protester was asked by a reporter, "how would you like this to end?" he responded, "i wouldn't like it to end, i would like to see the conversation continue".

this isn't as cut and dried as demanding a solution from the government and then going home when a politician promises something. it doesn't work.

I get what you are saying, but it doesnt work that way.

"If there's no solution, there's no problem."

A problem isn't just something that bothers/annoys/upsets you. A problem is something that you try to solve. If it is something that is by nature impossible for you to solve, then you stop trying to solve it. Then it is no longer a problem, it is rather something that you find a way to accept and deal with.

What you are describing is closer to venting...
October 06, 2011 @ 16:51:33 PM
I get what you are saying, but it doesnt work that way.

"If there's no solution, there's no problem."

A problem isn't just something that bothers/annoys/upsets you. A problem is something that you try to solve. If it is something that is by nature impossible for you to solve, then you stop trying to solve it. Then it is no longer a problem, it is rather something that you find a way to accept and deal with.

What you are describing is closer to venting...

you gotta watch this dude http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-5-2011/parks-and-demonstration

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 16:54:41 PM
i don't get at all what you're trying to say.

if we think something is impossible to solve, then we just give up?

people are down at the protest trying to learn what happened, and are discussing how to solve the problem. there are teach ins and discussions being held. it is an ongoing process that we are in the middle of. just because there is no clear solution to a very obviously solvable problem, doesn't mean that you just give up.

October 06, 2011 @ 17:02:47 PM
lolololoololol http://www.lcurve.org/

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 17:08:22 PM
bill gates does skew things a bit but there are plenty of multi-billionaires in the US

October 06, 2011 @ 18:00:42 PM
i don't get at all what you're trying to say.

if we think something is impossible to solve, then we just give up?

people are down at the protest trying to learn what happened, and are discussing how to solve the problem. there are teach ins and discussions being held. it is an ongoing process that we are in the middle of. just because there is no clear solution to a very obviously solvable problem, doesn't mean that you just give up.

To simplify my point, going the tea party route and enacting political change through votes would be more effective. The tea party movement has managed to become a serious topic in presidential debates after being around for what? 4-5 years.

This country has a system for change, and it should be utilized imho.

lolololoololol http://www.lcurve.org/

lol
October 06, 2011 @ 18:23:25 PM
what has the tea party done though? yeah they got a couple of people in the Senate and governorship's, but what have they been able to do to reign in the federal government?

imo the system is too rigid and stubborn to reform and i think public outcry will expedite the process

\X/

October 06, 2011 @ 18:38:36 PM
what has the tea party done though? yeah they got a couple of people in the Senate and governorship's, but what have they been able to do to reign in the federal government?

imo the system is too rigid and stubborn to reform and i think public outcry will expedite the process

they have put politicians in office loyal too their ideals and are the main reason behind the lack of productivity in Washington. It may not be positive, but they are making a difference using the Democratic system that's in place.

Protesting, getting pepper sprayed and/or arrested isn't the best way to go about things. Imo of course.
October 07, 2011 @ 12:14:26 PM
watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8bID-4bIPY
October 07, 2011 @ 12:41:40 PM
Hipsters and hippies with nothing better to do.

Edit: Nikkas with no money act like money isn't everything - Drake

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

October 07, 2011 @ 13:24:38 PM
This new forum format makes shit so hard to follow. Half of people's quotes get pushed into the actual post.

I agree that the Tea Party approach has had an impact, the problem is they are still just complaining about shit. No solutions. The Tea Party congressmen just fucking sat and refused to vote on a compromise until the US nearly defaulted on loans. This is productive? I'm glad to hear that people are organizing teach-ins at these rallies, because I think if everyone just acted out of anger without thinking things through like most of the Tea Party, we would REALLY be fucked.
October 07, 2011 @ 17:39:23 PM
lol at people comparing Occupy Wall Street to the Tea Party. The difference there, and between Occupy Wall Street and every other political movement out right now, is that Occupy Wall Street is calling for genuine, sweeping reform. Of every single broken bureaucracy that's just perpetuating all the systemic problems in the country.

Will they get every single thing that they're asking for, probably not, but The Tea Party is literally a bunch of people that think the Republican Party is TOO PROGRESSIVE! And dudes like dead7 really don't seem to grasp the fact that in order for ANYTHING to be done about this deep-seated problem, it has to start with a bunch of people making it known that they're upset about the situation and aren't taking the same bullshit for an answer.
October 07, 2011 @ 17:58:58 PM
smh at people just shrugging them off as just "dumb hipster kids". These so called dumb hipster kids are graduating into one of the worst job fields in modern history, they have issues that they wan't to settled when it comes to those rich assh**es on Wall ST. They caused this mess and have not payed any type of price for it, instead they got bailed out with our money and called it a day.
October 08, 2011 @ 03:44:13 AM
lol at people comparing Occupy Wall Street to the Tea Party. The difference there, and between...

The ideology doesn't matter, I was speaking to the approach of the movement.
October 08, 2011 @ 03:45:32 AM
lmao this thread is fullll of fuckn nerdzz who cares bout this shit yo
October 08, 2011 @ 04:42:00 AM
well

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

October 08, 2011 @ 04:51:28 AM
lmao this thread is fullll of fuckn nerdzz who cares bout this shit yo

\X/

Please login first to reply.
x